There are exercises that combine more movements into one in a perfectly natural way, so if you are looking for a super functional exercise that will target all of your muscle groups then Squat Press is something you must have in your training program.
Squat Press (also known as thrusters) is a combined exercise with weights that connects squats and throwing the weight over your head.
By regularly performing this exercise you will increase the strength of your shoulders and arms, strengthen the main muscles of the legs and increase your mobility, flexibility, balance and overall body motility.
It can be performed with any equipment that you own or improvise with any weight. Dumbbells are commonly used, but a straight bar, a Russian bell or a Bulgarian bag would have the same effect.
How is it performed?
The best variant of the exercise is when it is performed with dumbbells or a Russian bell.
Choose the weights that correspond to 10% of your body weight (if you are a beginner start with a smaller weight and increase it over time).
Take the weights and stand in an upright position, and while performing the exercise make sure your spine is in an upright, natural position.
Squat press should be performed slowly and controlled.
- Take a weight in each hand.
- Put your feet in line with your shoulders.
- Lift the weights at the height of your shoulders.
- Start lowering into a position of a squat, place your chest high and forward. Bend your knees until your back is parallel with the floor.
- Begin to return to the original position, ending with placing the weights above your head. The position of the weights above the head should be in in front of your ears.
Make 5 reps in 10-15 series.
The benefits of this exercise are multiple.
In addition to developing muscles in the arms, shoulders, back, hips, stomach and legs, this exercise is exceptionally good for burning calories.
Due to the use of your legs and extra weight, it has an excellent anabolic stimulant effect on your body, which is one of the reasons why it is so used in the strength training in almost all sports.