As you know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and eating a healthy breakfast is even more important, especially for athletes.
They need to jump-start their metabolism and gain the sufficient energy they need for the day. The busy everyday life has created a habit of skipping breakfast, which is one of the worst things you could do to your body.
It hurts not only your health, but also your muscle gains and performance. So if you find yourself guilty of this bad habit, keep on reading to see the best healthy breakfast ideas.
Basic Breakfast Guidelines
When it comes to the diet of athletes, they need a breakfast which contains 500 – 700 calories, containing 30% protein, 20% healthy fats and 50% carbs.
The best sources of everything you need to consume are whole grain breads and cereals, fiber loaded vegetables and fruits, eggs, seeds, nuts, lean meat and cheese.
One of the most important things your body needs, but most people forget about is water. It doesn’t only keep your body hydrated, but it helps you flush out all of the toxins out of your body, digest your food and maintain proper functioning of your body.
So, water is basically the most important thing for athletes since most of their activities use stores quicker. And since your muscles are 75% water, they can’t function properly if they’re not hydrated.
Make sure to drink water with all your meals and snacks so you can finish all your activities hydrated. Also you should drink small amounts of water during your workout.
Champions breakfast ideas
Building a strong and fit body takes a lot of time and hard work, and also proper nutrition. A proper diet is very important for muscle building, fat loss and your overall health, including your every meal, especially breakfast.
Keep on reading to find out which foods you need to include into your breakfast and also learn some new healthy-charged recipes!
Eggs and something more
1. A vanilla flavored whey protein smoothie with bananas and peanut butter make one of the tastiest and best muscle-building pre-workout breakfast. After the workout, you need to recharge your body and refill your glycogen stores with an egg-scramble with peppers, spinach and olives.
2. Another healthy, yet very tasty breakfast are some scrambled eggs with turkey bacon. It’s will keep satiated throughout the day. All you need is 1 cup of egg whites and 1 or 2 slices of turkey bacon. Complete your meal with a cup of berries and ½ cup of rolled oats.
3. If you already had enough of scrambled eggs, you can try frittata with mushrooms, raw spinach and asparagus.
4. Eggs and avocado make the perfect healthy combination. Scramble three egg whites, put them on top of a whole grain bagel, and top it with a quarter of an avocado. This meal provides high quality protein, healthy fats and carbs to kick start your day.
5. A ½ cup of cooked egg whites, and a quarter of a scoop of whey powder is the perfect healthy combination. Finish it with cottage cheese or peanut butter.
1. Make the most out of your classic bowl of oatmeal by adding a teaspoon of almond butter and some chocolate-flavored protein powder. Drink a cup of black coffee to obtain the energy you need for the day.
2. Put ½ cup of oatmeal soaked in water, or better yet almond milk and put it in the fridge overnight. Add a scoop of vanilla whey powder and one banana to get the perfect breakfast in the morning.
3. For a really over-charged breakfast full of antioxidants and other nutrients which boosts your metabolism, mix some fresh berries and a teaspoon of brown sugar in one cup of oatmeal. If you have a more intensive workout that day, you can complete the meal with grilled chicken and a scramble of 10 egg whites.
1. You should really try this amazing recipe for kick-starting the day: ½ lemon, ½ of almond milk, ½ cup of berries, raw spinach, 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder and some ice.
2. If you have busy mornings, and don’t have the time to prepare a full meal, this is a recipe which will help you: Put 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder, 1 cup of almond mil and 1 scoop of Barlean’s Greens into a blender and get the perfect healthy breakfast.
3. If you want to add something more to your breakfast besides the usual bowl of oats, you should blend 4 celery stalks, 1 cucumber, 1 lemon, 2 green apples and some kale leaves. Green is healthy but also tasty!
4. And if you are a chocolate lover, then this is the perfect recipe for you. Blend 1 banana, 1 cup of almond milk, some peanut butter and 2 scoops of chocolate powder to get the tastiest healthy breakfast.
Bonus Idea – Amino Popsicles!
If you’re still not convinced not to skip breakfast – we can still help you!
You can make anti-catabolic amino supplements fun! Put a scoop of grape – flavored BSN Amino X (or some other flavor) and 8 ounces of water into a popsicle mold and put them in to the freezer.
A fun, healthy recipe.