If your goal is weight loss and improving your definition, then this is the article you need.
We are going to show you 8 exercises which you should include in your routine in order to reach your goal.
The exercises you perform have a big effect on the results and define the parts you are working on. You don’t need to perform long cardio sessions or spend hours running. All you need are body weight exercises to improve your body composition, conditioning and your strength.
Besides losing weight faster, body weight exercises will increase your anaerobic endurance, help you achieve a tighter, leaner physique and improve your metabolism.
Body weight exercises also improve:
- Bone density
- Brain function
- Joint and bone function
- Lungs and heart
You don’t need any expensive equipment or complicated routines in order to get results. All you need is these classic compound exercises which will help you burn fat, build a lean musculature and boost your metabolic rate in a short period of time.
Burpees are an amazing exercise because they target ever major muscle group and increase your heart rate. They can be hard to perform at first, but you will definitely get better results if you perform these instead of standard cardio.
- Stand in an upright position and put your feet shoulder width apart, shift the weight in your heels and put your arms at your sides.
- With your knees bent, move your hips back and lower down into a squat.
- Put your hands on the ground in front of you and shift the weight on them.
- Move your feet to the back to land on the balls of the feet to get into a plank and form a straight line from your heels to your head.
- Move your feet back so they land outside of your hands.
- Bring your arms over your head and jump into the air.
- Land down and get into a squat position for the next rep.
The pull – ups are one of the best exercises for building a strong back, improving your posture, toning the core and the whole body. Pull – ups are a must for everyone who wants to improve their overall strength and body composition.
- Grab a bar with a shoulder width apart grip.
- Hang and then lift your feet off the ground and bend your knees. Make sure your arms are straight.
- Pull your body up using your elbows and keep them close.
- Pull all the way up until you pass the bar with your chin.
- Repeat and lower down until your arms are straight.
This is one of the best compound exercises for completely shaping your thighs, legs and glutes. Once you gain enough strength and balance with the body weight squat, try performing them with a barbell to get better results.
- Keep your weight on the balls of your feet and you heels.
- Make sure your whole body is tight throughout the whole movement.
- Your back should be straight, your shoulders and chest up and your spine neutral.
- Make sure your knees are in line with your feet as you squat down.
- Go down until your hip joint is lower than the knees.
4. Push ups
This is the perfect exercise for strengthening your triceps, chest and shoulders. It completely activates your core, particularly the ab muscles.
- Get down on the floor and put your hands slightly wider than shoulder width apart.
- Place your feet so that they are touching each other.
- Keep your head looking ahead, not down.
- Your arms should be straight and supporting the weight at the highest portion of the push – up.
- Make sure your elbows don’t go out with each rep. Keep them close to your sides.
- Once your chest touches the ground, pause for a second and then explosively go back up until you are in the starting position.
This is one of the most beneficial exercises. It helps you build stronger quads, hamstrings and tight glutes. It also improves your core strength.
- Make sure your upper body is straight, your chin is up and your shoulders are back and relaxed.
- Step forward with one of your legs, lower your hips down until both of your knees are bent at a 90 degree angle. Your front knee needs to be directly above your ankle.
- Your other knee shouldn’t touch the ground.
- Keep the weight in your heels when your push back into the original position.
6. Spider Crawl
This movement efficiently works your chest, triceps, abs and shoulder. It tones your core muscles and improves the mobility of your hips, while also raising your heart rate thus helping you burn more fat.
- Get into a plank or a push – up position.
- Bend your right knee and move it up to the right elbow. Keep your left leg straight and extend your left arm forward.
- “Crawl” forward by moving your left knee to your right elbow, extending your right knee and bringing your right arm forward.
- Perform as many reps as you can.
This is one the most effective movements when it comes to toning the hamstrings and glutes and core conditioning. It also improves your back and abs endurance.
- Put your hands directly beneath your shoulders, slightly wider than shoulder width apart.
- Push your toes into the ground and contract your glutes to stabilize your body.
- Neutralize the spine and the neck by looking at a spot on the ground about a foot beyond your hands. Keep your head in line with your back.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds. Once you get more comfortable with this movement, hold the plank as long as you can.
Skipping a rope for 10 minutes has the same effect as running for an 8 minute mile. This exercise is great for building stronger legs and arms, improving agility and burning calories.
- Make sure your back is straight.
- Alternate feet when jumping, aim to jump on one foot a few times, and then switch on the other foot.
- While skipping, the rope should be tight and if you’re jumping at speed, aim to have small jumps, with the rope close to the head.